Thursday, August 27, 2015

Dilly Rolls



I have not been making much bread this summer. But I finally have some dill growing in my herb garden again (more on that topic in a later post) and I wanted to try some dilly rolls.

This is a simple yeast bread. Don't expect a light, puffy dinner roll. These are a rustic, hearty-type roll - absolutely perfect with a roast beef dinner.



I wanted to make sure they had a good dill flavor so after looking at several recipes I added both dill seed and dill weed, plus an onion. (Dill weed is the leafy green part of the dill plant.)

My children thought the flavor of these rolls was a little strong - but they helped themselves to seconds and thirds. I thought it was perfect. You can adjust the flavor to your liking by decreasing the dill and onion if you wish.

I'm looking forward to enjoying these rolls this fall with a pot of beef stew.



Dilly Rolls

1 cup milk
1 T honey
4 T oil
2 T instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1 onion, diced
4 T finely shopped fresh dill weed
1 T dill seeds
2 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 cups white flour

Add all ingredients except white flour to mixing bowl. Stir well. Add white flour as needed to make a soft, slightly tacky dough. Knead for five minutes.

Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover. Let raise until doubled, about 1 hour. Divide dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls. Place on a greased baking sheet. If desired, brush tops with a beaten egg. Raise for 30 minutes or until doubled.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.




6 comments :

  1. They look and sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try these sometime soon. My dill has been prolific this year. I have made all the pickles we need,sold some dill and gave some away. However,it is still beautiful..I don't like to see it go to seed. I wonder how these would freeze? Perhaps I will try that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine have been eaten before they had a chance to make it to the freezer but I'm sure they would freeze well.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. They look and sound delicious. I'm glad you said they weren't light and fluffy....a nice substantial roll is always a good side for soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these to go with our ham dinner Sunday and enjoyed them. They've also been great as sandwiches with the left over ham and I've really been enjoying them for tomato sandwiches, too! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I can't wait to try these! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails